Mexico City's fast-paced cultural landscape is rich in art, architecture, and hip restaurants. In fact, Mexico City's gastronomic scene is one of the finest in the world. The restaurant options are endless and there is something for every palate. Here are my absolute favorite restaurants all with amazing food and the best ambiance for fun and culture-rich meals:
- PUJOL: by Enrique Olivera and definitely the best in Mexico City. His dedication to every single dish and the representation of Mexican cuisine will make you fall in love with the flavors of Mexican gastronomy. You need to reserve with months in advance.
- Contramar: fully committed to the quality of seasonal ingredients, Contramar works only with seasonal fish and shellfish. The best place for a Friday lunch that turns into drinks and dinner, sensational food, wonderful service, and the perfect local restaurant to people-watch and get a real feel of the vibrance of Mexico City. Must order the tuna tostadas and the catch of the day.
- Rosetta: in La Roma neighborhood. Rosetta deeply respects the Mexican ingredients, and its à la carte menu changes constantly depending on seasonal products, and is distinguished by the contemporary take on traditional dishes. Relaxed atmosphere with a delightful terrace.
- Máximo Bistrot: one of the city's culinary gem's. Máximo is a true farm-to-table restaurant serving a french cuisine with Mexican-raised ingredients. The space is rustic, spacious and candle-lit at night. Perfect for a romantic date.
- Sud 777: another gastronomic gem located in the neighborhood of Pedregal. The quality of its dishes is not compromised by its fun atmosphere, which makes it the perfect restaurant for dinner and drinks before a fun night-out. Modern take on Mexican cuisine.
- Trastevere: haute gastronomy located in Lomas de Chapultepec offering the best Italian cuisine, with exceptional quality and service. Seasonal products only, and a beautiful terrace.
- Sushi Iwashi: traditional Japanese in the Polanco neighborhood. Exceptional quality. Must try: Toro nigiri with foie gras. Does not take reservations! First come, first served.
- Estiatorio Nostos: traditional Greek cuisine in Polanco, characterized for its simplicity yet richness of flavors. The perfect fusion between traditional and contemporary Mediterranean cuisine. Outdoor sitting available.
- Havre 77: beautiful French restaurant in the hip neighborhood of la Roma. Located in a fin de siècle mansion with a terrace and romantic atmosphere. Excellent ingredients.
- Restaurante San Angel Inn: one of my all-time favorites! Built in an old Monastery and converted into this beautiful restaurant. Offers traditional Mexican cuisine, located in the historic neighborhood of San Angel. Perfect for Saturday brunch/lunch! Right next to Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera's house.
- Blanco Colima: gastronomy meets culture in this gem located in the Roma neighborhood. I love coming here for lunch and afternoon drinks. Food and service are incredible and the best ambiance in Mexico City.
- UMAI: true feel and taste of Japan, UMAI offers an innovative approach to traditional Japanese food. Located in the middle of a Zen garden in the heart of Mexico City.
- La Docena: oyster bar, fresh sea food, artsy crowd. In Polanco.
With love and good health,